- Break the Slump: How To Leverage Your 2021 Christmas Services To Reach More People. Carey Nieuwhof article, 11/2021
- Resource page from Advent Round Tables on program and worship ideas with a link to watch the worship session: Click here
- PRC (Practical Resources for Churches) Advent/Christmas resource page: Click here
- Exploring The Themes Of Advent, a Synod of the Covenant’s Equipping Preachers recorded webinar with Rev Chip Hardwick focuses on ideas for Advent sermons: click here
- Ferncliff Alternative Gift Catalog 2021: Click here
- Wait Upon The Lord, An Advent retreat from 1001 Worshipping communities, a virtual retreat in a box: Click here
- Lifting Up and Celebrating God’s Promises, 9/2021 APCE article by Rev Cathy Hoop with ideas for Advent: Click here
- Advent Practices During Covid-Times, 9/2021 APCE article by Doodle Harries with ideas for Advent: Click here
- A Christmas Eve idea to use: invite and bless the animals, 11/2021 article: Click here
- We Wonder podcast, Advent stories: Click here
- (Links of) Love is all you need (for an Alternative Giving Market!) Alternative Giving Markets provide an awesome opportunity for churches and communities to make a real difference in the lives of people around the world — but it can feel overwhelming to plan one! For an easy and effective way to host an Alternative Giving Market, look no further than the Presbyterian Giving Catalog’s Links of Love activity! Watch the video to see just how easy it is to use Links of Love for a festive holiday activity at your church and order the free kit today!
- Celebrate differently this holiday season! Whether at church or home, consider putting faith in action regarding holiday meals and gatherings. Download Rethinking Holiday Meals and Reclaiming the Holidays.
- Close to Home: Resources for Advent, 9/2021 recorded PRC webinar featuring Lisle Gwynn Garrity of Sanctified Art: Click here
- Presbyterians Today Advent and Christmas 2021 Devotional, free and downloadable: Click here
- Come to Bethlehem and Be Nourished: Advent’s Hunger Gives Way to Christmas Fulfillment, New Advent/Christmas Devotional from Presbyterians Today: Click here
- Presbyterian Outlook Advent Resources For Families: Click here
- Resources for Christmas Joy Offering: Click here
- Worship at Home: Advent and Christmas 2020 (Abingdon Press, 2021) These weekly worship services can be used by individuals, families, or groups; they can be used for online or hybrid worship. There are services for each week in Advent, Christmas Eve, the Sunday after Christmas, and Epiphany. Each service includes essential worship elements along with links for online musical selections and traditional hymn suggestions. $9.99
- Prayers for Public Worship: Advent and the Season of Christmas (Augsburg Books, 2020) This book brings together over 300 beautiful prayers for Advent and the Season of Christmas which can be used for worship, devotionals for meetings, etc. $12.99
- Advent in Plain Sight: A Devotion through Ten Objects by Jill J. Duffield, (Westminster John Knox Press, 2022) At Christmas, God came into our ordinary world in the form of a child, and still today, God is at work through the ordinary stuff of life, if we train our eyes to see. Advent in Plain Sight draws readers’ attention to ten ordinary objects that appear in the biblical narratives of messianic prophesy and incarnation. Through focusing on these objects, we can see the near kingdom of heaven on earth and ponder what that divine proximity enables and asks us to do and be. With these digital resources, you’ll find images and guides to augment your Advent sermon series and small-group discussions, as well as marketing materials to help you invite others to join you.
- A Surprising God: Advent Devotions for an Uncertain Time by Thomas G. Long & Donyelle C. McCray (Westminster John Knox Press, 2022) Where do we find hope when it seems in such short supply? Where are the signs of God’s peace in this divided world? “In this time of thirsting for God, we cling in faith to the God who surprises by providing refreshing springs in the driest of places and who allows light to break into our world in the bleakest of times,” write the authors. These daily devotions are for those whose patience is worn and who are struggling to hold on to hope, but who look forward to a surprising God during Advent.
Studies to Purchase:
- The Heart That Grew Three Sizes: Finding Faith in the Story of the Grinch (Abingdon Press, 2021) by Matt Rawle. This Advent DVD study with four sessions is based on the faith themes in the book How the Grinch Stole Christmas. This Advent, look at a familiar classic through the lens of faith and see how Christ speaks to us through our culture. $
- All the Good: A Wesleyan Way of Christmas (Abingdon Press, 2021) This is an Advent four-session DVD study guided by the practices in John Wesley’s means of grace. Wesley’s emphasis upon practices of piety and mercy—or good works—drew from the larger Christian tradition. A book of daily meditations is available as part of the study. $
In the Resource Center:
- Light of the World: A Beginner’s Guide to Advent by Amy-Jill Levine (DVD10087) – Four sessions explore the biblical texts surrounding the story of the birth of Jesus.
- Advent Conspiracy, McKinley, Sey, & Holder (DVD 9275) – Four sessions – shows you how to substitute consumption with compassion by practicing four simple, but powerful, countercultural concepts: Worship Fully, Spend Less, Give More, and Love All.
- Christmas In The Four Gospel Homes, Cynthia M. Campbell (BK10240) – Four sessions – For each week of Advent, Campbell reflects on the distinctive perspective of the birth of Jesus or the incarnation offered by each Gospel.
- Mission: Christmas, Youth Programs & Ideas for Advent, Bryan Brooks (BK8708)
- Names For The Messiah, Walter Brueggemann (BK9909) – Tackles the questions: What were the expectations in the OT? and Did Jesus fulfill them?
- James W. Moore’s Finding Bethlehem in the Midst of Bedlam, An Advent Study for Youth by Mike Poteet (BK9821) – Five sessions to help teens experience the hope of Christ amid the commotion, confusion, and challenges of their day-to-day lives.
- Faithful: Christmas Through The Eyes of Joseph, Adam Hamilton (DVD9933) – 4 sessions.
- Not A Silent Night, Adam Hamilton (DVD9931) – 5 sessions, the story through Mary’s eyes. (8 books, DVD missing)
- The Journey, Adam Hamilton (DVD9617) – Five sessions, take your group on a journey with Hamilton as he travels on video from Nazareth to Bethlehem taking a look at the birth of Jesus Christ.
- When God Comes Down, James A Harnish – a five week study for adults.
- Advent in Narnia, Reflections For The Season Heidi Haverkamp (BK9891) – 28 meditations, also 4 sessions for small group discussion and more.
- Something Is About To Happen, Sermons For Advent & Christmas, Thomas G. Long (BK8260)